Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student

Watching this video I felt like I was hearing a summary of our EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. Almost everything they talked about in the video we have either already done or plan to do in the near future. I think that learning will be similar to this in class rooms of all ages, it might not be like this in every class a child takes but I honestly think it will be in most. I have said this several times already and I am going to say it again “technology is the key to the future”, whether it is being taught in the classroom or not.
The big question seems to be “Why does the networked student even need a teacher?” Some people just think that kids can learn anything from blogging and exploring the internet. The way I see it is that kids can learn a ton from blogging and exploring the internet but they needed to be guided in the right direction. So my answer to this question is a definite YES!!!! If children get stuck and cannot find the information they need to do their research they need a teacher to give them resourceful web pages. Also for many of the other questions or problems a child could come across, who will they ask if there is no teacher?

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)

I thought that the 7th graders personal learning environment was very similar to our personal learning network. Her personal learning environment was very well organized. She had a great bit of knowledge for someone of her age. This is just another example of why technology should be used in the classrooms. It showed how you can be doing school work while listening to your favorite music. All your basic needs for education and wants for social interaction together in one easy to access place. Kids Interacting with SmartBoard

SmartBoards

I actually found several web pages describing the benefits of the SmartBoard in classrooms, here is the link to one of them http://www.waukeshaschools.com/WIT/smartBoard/benefits.htm . I had SmartBoards in my high school but many teachers did not use them to their full potential. One major disadvantage of the SmartBoard is the simple fact in cost. SmartBoards can be expensive if you are trying to put one in every class. I feel strongly toward using them in classrooms for many reasons. One of these reasons being it is an easy and fast way to get kids involved in physical and visual learning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justin,
    I felt the same way when I was watching the Networked student video! Her student was doing a lot of the things that I know we have/will be doing in this class. And I agree,kids that are networking need a teacher for guidance. Great post!

    ReplyDelete